Who is required to complete a concentration?
- All new freshmen, transfer students and readmitted students who are
admitted to Georgia Tech for the summer 2011 semester and after will be
admitted into the BSBA degree and required to complete a concentration.
- Tech students who submit change of major forms to join the Scheller College
of Business after January 17, 2011 are required to complete the BSBA
degree and a concentration.
- BS Management students who change their major to the BSBA degree are
required to complete a concentration. Summer 2011 graduates are the
first students eligible to graduate with the BSBA degree.
Who is not required to complete a concentration?
- Current BSM students who were admitted to Georgia Tech prior to
Summer 2011 are not required to finish a concentration if they plan to
graduate with the BSM degree. (BSM students graduating summer 2011 and
after are welcome to change their major to BSBA starting January 18,
- Tech students who change their major to BSM before January 17, 2011
and who plan to graduate with the BSM degree are not required to
complete a concentration.
- Please note that while spring 2011 BSM graduates have the option to
have their concentration recognized on their transcripts, the only way to
receive recognition for completion of a concentration if you are not a
spring 2011 graduate is to change majors to the BSBA degree. Fall 2010
graduates are not eligible for the BSBA degree nor recognition of
concentration completion on the transcript.
Why are concentrations important?
- Major concentrations show employers that in addition to possessing a
strong understanding of all areas of business through completion of the
Management core classes, you have a specialization in one area of
business and are prepared to compete for full-time positions within that
Please read these Important Policies about Concentrations
- Only BSBA majors can complete concentrations.
- Students may only receive official recognition for the completion of one concentration.
- Students must earn at least a grade of "C" in all courses for a concentration.
- Students are encouraged to declare their concentration in OSCAR as early as possible. Once declared, students do have the option to change it later if desired.
- Some courses may be listed as electives in two different
concentrations. Students may double count one course toward a concentration and a certificate but may not receive recognition for two concentrations.
- BSBA majors may still complete certificates, but not in the same
areas of their concentrations. For instance, a BSBA major may not finish
a concentration in Marketing and a certificate in Marketing.
- Students may use one course used to fulfill a concentration
requirement to fulfill a requirement for a Management certificate. For
instance, the International Marketing class may be used for the
Marketing concentration and the International Management certificate.
Students may only exercise this option once.
- College of Business students pursuing the Engineering & Management minor may use up to two E&M courses toward MGT concentrations (but not certificates), as long as the E&M course appears within the list of courses eligible for the concentration. When applying the E&M courses to MGT concentrations, the courses may be used only once. For instance, although MGT 3744 (an E&M class) is listed under at least three different concentrations, students can only apply it to their one concentration. E&M minor classes cannot be used to fulfill requirements for any other certificate or minor at Tech, including MGT certificates.
Declare your Concentration
After you have selected a concentration, you need to declare your concentration online. Use the directions below to declare your concentration. Once your concentration is declared, you will see concentration information in your DegreeWorks. If you need to change your concentration after initially declaring it, use the same steps listed below.
Student Services & Financial Aid, then Student Records, then
Change Program of Study
on this screen will be your current major. Select the button next to your BSBA
program of study, and click Select Program
your concentration from the drop down menu, and click Submit Changes
Done and you will return to the mail screen displaying your current
program(s) of study.