College Honors Distinguished Alumni at Fifth Annual Celebration Awards
Dean Steve Salbu and Hall of Fame inductee John A. Williams
Hall of Fame inductee Stephen P. Zelnak Jr.
C. Whitney Knoll, Academy of Distinguished Alumni
Edwin A. Wahlen Jr., Academy of Distinguished Alumni, and his wife, Cathy
W. Derek Porter, Council of Outstanding Young Alumni
Georgia Tech College of Management recognized the vision, achievement, and leadership of its alumni April 25 at the business school’s Fifth Annual Awards Celebration, inducting five leaders into the Hall of Fame, Academy of Distinguished Alumni, and Council of Outstanding Young Alumni.
More than 200 alumni and friends attended the event, which was held in the Thornton Atrium and LeCraw Auditorium of the Management building. "This evening, we're honoring the best of the best," said College of Management Dean Steve Salbu.
New members of the Hall of Fame include:
- John A. Williams (IM 1964), who has directed and coordinated the development, construction, and management of real estate projects since 1966. Founder of Post Properties, Williams currently serves as chief executive officer of Williams Realty Advisors and holds interests in various other entities involved in real properties and enterprises.
- Stephen P. Zelnak Jr. (IM 1969), who has served as CEO and president of Martin Marietta Materials Inc. since 1993 and company chairman since 1997. Based in North Carolina, Martin Marietta Materials is the second largest producer of crushed stone, sand, and gravel in the United States.
New members of the Academy of Distinguished Alumni include:
- C. Whitney Knoll (IM 1970), who is senior managing director of Staubach Capital Markets. Prior to joining Staubach in early 2007, Knoll acted as principal and executive vice president of Trammell Crow’s Retail Capital Markets Group.
- Edwin A. Wahlen Jr. (IM 1970), who is managing partner of Cravey, Green & Wahlen. This private equity investment firm supports management teams in acquisitions and recapitalizations of middle-market companies (typically valued between $25 million-$200 million).
The newest member of the Council of Outstanding Young Alumni is:
- W. Derek Porter (BSM 1995), who is co-founder and chief technology officer for Firethorn. He leads the company’s product management, engineering, quality assurance, data management, and management information services divisions.
Director of Communications
Assistant Director of Communications
© 2012 Georgia Institute of Technology