Making the leap from technical expert to strategic leader means balancing business needs with technology solutions. Successful IT managers must navigate complex organizations, align IT resources to support strategic goals, manage projects and change, and communicate effectively with technical teams, senior leadership, and outside vendors. Georgia Tech can arm you with the business skills and knowledge to help you make the transition into management seamless.
Who should attend?
The program is designed for IT managers in the central IT function and distributed IT areas, as well as managers in other areas with IT interface responsibilities. Typical participants are high-potential IT specialists who are moving into leadership roles requiring them to manage teams, personnel, vendors, and relationships, while delivering effective business solutions to their internal and external clients. This program is also suitable for other managers who need to develop a better understanding of the role of IT in the enterprise.
Participants will learn how to:
Develop: IT strategic plans and business cases for IT investments
Manage: IT operations and risks, IT projects and third-party vendors
Lead: Departmental change and technical teams
Analyze: Competitive advantage and financial statements
The curriculum consists of eight modules covering the fundamentals of successfully managing IT professionals.
Module 1: Analyzing Financial Statements
- Develop the ability to read and understand the four basic types of financial statements
- Learn to evaluate financial statements using both ratio and vertical analysis methods
- Examine the important information included in financial statements for industry and competitor analysis
Module 2: Developing an IT Strategic Plan
- Understand business strategy and competitive advantage
- Learn how to analyze company success factors and create an IT strategic plan
- Learn how to create greater value for the organization through effective use of IT
Module 3: Developing a Business Case for IT
- Understand basic concepts in corporate finance, such as the time value of money and cost of capital
- Learn how to justify IT investments
Module 4: IT Governance and Project Management
- Understand how to organize the IT function to improve performance
- Understand why some IT projects fail
- Learn project management tools and techniques to increase project success
Module 5: Leading and Managing High-Performance Teams
- Understand models of leadership and management styles
- Understand the characteristics of high-performing teams
- Develop strategies for expanding your influence through multiple levels of your organization
- Develop approaches for dealing with challenging people
Module 6: Managing Change
- Understand the business drivers for change
- Assess the political landscape for change
- Understand the different stages and roles in change implementation
- Discover proven tools for measuring change progress and outcomes
- Develop versatility in change leadership behaviors
Module 7: Managing IT Operations and Risks
- Develop the skills to manage the risks involved in IT investments
- Develop methods to manage IT security risks
- Develop a business continuity plan to minimize the impact of IT failures
Module 8: Managing Outsourced Relationships
- Understand the cost/benefits of IT outsourcing
- Develop a framework to decide what to outsource or offshore
- Develop a vendor management approach that creates effective partnerships
The sessions are formatted using structured presentations, team exercises, guest speakers on industry best practices, case studies related to specific topics, and skill assessments and reviews.
Format & Curriculum
The IT Management Certificate Program is taught by expert faculty from Georgia Tech's Scheller College of Business on its midtown Atlanta campus. Classes are held from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Program Fee: $6,850
A discount of 10% is available for companies sending three to six participants. A discount of 15% is available for Georgia Tech alumni, non-profit organizations, TAG members, and companies sending seven or more participants. Tuition includes parking, all class materials, and lunch.
August 19-22 and September 30-October 3, 2013.
SECURE YOUR PLACE - REGISTER TODAY!